College of Engineering Honors Top Students
Olga Brazhkina, a senior biomedical engineering major, was named the College of Engineering 2019 Outstanding Senior.
Members of the campus community gathered April 30 to honor the College of Engineering's top students.
Olga Brazhkina, a senior biomedical engineering major, was named the College of Engineering 2019 Outstanding Senior. She will speak at the College's commencement ceremony May 11. Brazhkina will head to the Georgia Institute of Technology to pursue her doctorate in biomedical engineering following graduation.
Each department also recognized an outstanding senior:
- Biological and Agricultural Engineering: Natalie Von Tress
- Biomedical Engineering: Olga Brazhkina
- Ralph E. Martin Department of Chemical Engineering: Alexander O'Brien
- Computer Engineering: Cole Sherrill
- Computer Science: Olivia Degner
- Civil Engineering: Khandi Gordon
- Electrical Engineering: Paul Swearingen
- Industrial Engineering: Morgan Hartsell
- Mechanical Engineering: Brett Glenn
The college recognized four First-Ranked Senior Scholars who received a 4.0 grade point average on all coursework completed at the U of A:
- Sameer Kulkarni, mechanical engineering
- Cole Sherrill, computer engineering
- Ian Spatz, electrical engineering
- Juan Carlos Rodriguez, chemical engineering
Twenty-one students were honored as U of A senior scholars, who received a 4.0 grade point average on all course work, including some transfer work:
- Mason Belue, biomedical engineering
- Mary Brandecker, biomedical engineering
- Brett Glenn, mechanical engineering
- Roderick Amir Gomez Jimenez, electrical engineering
- Jake Grawe, mechanical engineering
- Ibrahim Ben Kais Guiga, chemical engineering
- Morgan Hartsell, industrial engineering
- Jackson Cole Hedrick, biomedical engineering
- Emily Janowski, biomedical engineering
- Sawyer Keller, electrical engineering
- Joshua McArthur, mechanical engineering
- Alexander O'Brien, chemical engineering
- Nicholas Reed, electrical engineering
- Joshua Ritchie, mechanical engineering
- Clara Somerville, chemical engineering
- Paul Swearingen, electrical engineering
- Natalie Von Tress, biological engineering
- Adam Johnson, chemical engineering
- Jared Poe, mechanical engineering
- Thomas Krumpolc, chemical engineering
- Kevin Weston, civil engineering
The College of Engineering recognized four students with the Porter Stone Coop Award, which recognizes excellence in cooperative education. Recipients were:
- Alexander Ahlbrandt, computer engineering
- Theodore Christian, mechanical engineering
- Anthony Gunderman, mechanical engineering
- Trevor Mackey, mechanical engineering
Also this year, two engineering students were honored by the National Science Foundation with graduate research fellowships. Alexander O'Brien earned a fellowship and Suzana Ivandic earned an honorable mention. Both are chemical engineering students.
Two students in the College of Engineering earned Barry M. Goldwater Scholarships in the 2018-19 academic year:
- Megan Olsen, chemical engineering
- Austin Kreulach, computer science
Samia Ismael, a junior biomedical engineering major, was selected as a 2019 Harry S. Truman Scholarship recipient.
Nick DeMoss, director of communications
College of Engineering
U of A students take part in research that shows half of U.S. abuse deaths are not being reported.
Adedoyin Abe and Mahyar Afshar-Mohajer earned awards for their poster presentations at the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers Conference in Nashville in late May.
Area students will attend workshops on about science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics, get a taste of college experience..
The MicroCT Imaging Consortium for Research and Outreach Lab, or MICRO, has allowed faculty, staff and students to scan a wide a variety of objects for visualization.
David Owens, operations coordinator at the University of Arkansas Community Music School, has earned the Certified Program Planner credential.