Celebrate International Women's Day, March 8
The U of A campus will celebrate International Women's Day on Tuesday, March 8. The celebration recognizes women who strive to make positive changes in our world, in our country and in our community.
The day is an opportunity to reflect on the achievements and contributions women have made and continue to make in our global society. The day also brings awareness to the gaps in women's rights across the world.
The community is invited to join in all the day's scheduled festivities. The celebration program will take place from 4-6 p.m. in the Arkansas Union Ballroom. Our keynote speaker: Dr. Shauna Morimoto, vice-chair and director of Graduate Studies for the Department of Sociology and Criminology, will speak about "Building a Community of Support to Celebrate International Women's Day." The event will feature inspirational speakers, performances and a global fashion show. The full itinerary for the day is as follows:
- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. — Women of the World Photo Gallery: (March 8-30) at the Anne Kittrell Gallery on the 4th floor of the Union. Portraits of U of A international and US women on display.
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Flower Giveaway: Flowers will be given out to women in celebration of International Women's Day in front of the Union Food Court.
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Thank You Note Booth: Note cards will be provided for you to thank faculty, staff, family and friends who inspire you. The booth will be found in front of the Union Food Court.
- 4-6 p.m. — International Women's Day Celebration Program: speakers, performances and a global fashion show will be the highlights of the International Women's Day program. Featuring: speakers and performers. Below is an approximate schedule for the International Women's Day Celebration Program.
- 4-4:30 p.m. — Program featuring performances and keynote speaker Dr. Morimoto
- 4:30-5 p.m. — True Beauty Fashion Show
- 5-5:30 p.m. — Women & Intersectionality Booths
- 5:30-6 p.m. — Make sure to stop by the Women of the World portraits featured in the Anne Kittrell Gallery on the way out, located on the 4th floor of the Union.
Refreshments will be served. The U of A's International Women's Day celebration is sponsored by the office of International Students and Scholars, the Center for Multicultural and Diversity Education, Fulbright College and the Associated Student Government.
Cynthia Smith, assistant director of outreach
International Students and Scholars
School of Law Honors Graduating Award Winners
The U of A School of Law announces the class of 2023 graduation award winners. The awards recognize academic excellence, student elected awards and pro bono service.
Interior Architecture Student Jason Cote Wins Prestigious Gensler Brinkmann Scholarship
For this scholarship, Cote was awarded $5,000 to go toward his education. In addition, he was invited to participate in a two-month fellowship this summer at the Gensler offices in Las Vegas.
U of A Now More Accessible Option for Walmart and Sam's Club Associates
Through the program, Walmart covers 100% of the tuition and books for part-time and full-time Walmart and Sam’s Club associates across the U.S.
Doctoral Student Abass Oduola Selected for SEC Emerging Scholars Program
Abass Oduola, a cell and molecular biology/food science doctoral student in Bumpers College, has received a 2023-24 Emerging Scholars Fellowship from the Southeastern Conference.
Long Established Business Looks to Small Business Development Center for Guidance and Growth
Moving forward and needing help to create clarity about next steps for her yoga center, Andrea Fournet reached out to the Arkansas Small Business and Technology Development Center at the U of A.