University's Rome Center Offers Virtual International Internships for Fall
The University of Arkansas Rome Center is offering virtual international internships beginning in the fall semester. Students have the opportunity to work with an Italian organization for the second 8-week term, gaining experience in a variety of study areas or interests.
Internships are available to students in any degree program and will begin this semester with more than a dozen Italian companies whose primary activities range from the arts to robotics to museum studies and more.
"We are thrilled to facilitate this program, allowing our U of A students in Arkansas to partner with business partners here in Rome for a virtual internship," said Francesco Bedeschi, director of the Rome Center. "Our colleagues around the city are ready to work with our students to provide engaging and challenging internship roles that help connect our students to Italian agencies through working partnerships — and all without the challenges of today's international travel climate."
Bedeschi said the coronavirus pandemic has forced institutions to create new avenues for education and for business. This virtual international internship program was born from that need and hopefully will continue for a long time. "The U of A Rome Center has found itself in the unique position to capitalize on the pre-existing relationships with local institutions, businesses and other partners allowing us to offer a rich and diversified range of opportunities for virtual international internships for the U of A students," he said.
Sarah Malloy, director of the Office of Study Abroad and Student Exchange, agrees that the program expands the options for students. "We can see that the program opens doors for many more students to develop soft skills that many employers look for when hiring, like international cultural literacy. We know these international connections will make our students more prepared and more equipped for the future, and we are excited to start this semester."
Students interested in the programs should schedule an appointment for advising with the Office of Study Abroad and International Exchange, or complete an online application. Advisors will help match the students with applicable internships, and will serve as internship coordinators.
Students can earn 1-2 hours of academic credit for the internship and can participate whether they are enrolled on campus or remotely for the semester. Scholarships and financial aid are available in many cases.
"When most Arkansas students think about studying in Rome, they think only of architecture, art history and perhaps fashion. We are excited to show a more complete picture of the modern Rome by providing internships in areas that are not typically associated with ancient history," Bedeschi said.
Fall 2020 Internship Placement Opportunities:
Marketing and Social Media Placements
- Marketing Intern at a console and PC videogame development company
- Marketing Intern at a digital mental health care startup
- Marketing Intern at a robotic process automation company
- Digital Marketing Executive Intern at an innovative technology atelier
- Marketing Intern at The Rome Center, the University of Arkansas' only residential study center abroad
- Social Media Intern at an organization designed to support Syrian refugees
Communication and Editorial Placements
- Communication Specialist Intern at an international organization for innovation and sustainability
- English Editing Intern at a museum publishing company
Software Developer Placements
- Software Developer Intern at a robotic process automation company
Graphic Design Placements
- Graphic Design Intern at The Rome Center, the University of Arkansas' only residential study center abroad
Program Management Placements
- Fundraising Strategy Intern at a nonprofit technology startup
- International Fellowship Intern at a support organization for international social entrepreneurs
- Program Management Intern at an independent observer for democratic innovation
- Entrepreneurship Intern at an entrepreneurship program of an Italian university
- Development Strategy Intern at an organization committed to promoting equality and international cooperation
Engineering and Architecture Placements
- Environmental Sustainability Intern at a green building certification organization
Amy Unruh, director of communications
Graduate School and International Education
The U of A is working to help vaccinate as many of its eligible employees as quickly as possible, but appointments are required for clinics on campus.
Ninette Sosa, an alumna of the School of Journalism and Strategic Media, directed the first look at former U.S. Rep. Randall "Duke" Cunningham, who was convicted of bribery and tax evasion.
Andrea Allan, Kendall Davis, Hershel Hartford, A.J. Olsen andd Jackie Wills were named employees of the 1st Quarter for 2020-2021.
Need to cite sources for your paper, thesis or dissertation? Register to attend one of the EndNote Web citation manager remote instruction sessions coming up in February.
The Water and Sewer Department of Fayetteville will close part of West Cleveland Street between Razorback Road and Hall Avenue, affecting access to parking lots 40A and 41 and Transit Route 48.