Bumpers College Faculty Honored at Service Awards Reception
George Wardlow (left), head of the Department of Agricultural Education, Communications and Technology, was presented a 30-year award by interim Dean Jean-Francois Meullenet.
Twelve faculty members, scientists and researchers in the U of A's Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences were recently recognized with milestone service awards to the college, university and the U of A System Division of Agriculture.
- 30-Year Award
- George Wardlow, department head, agricultural education, communications and technology
- 25-Year Award
- Craig Coon, nutritionist, poultry science
- Bryan Kutz, instructor and youth specialist, animal science
- Michael Popp, professor, agricultural economics and agribusiness
- 20-Year Award
- Laurie Apple, associate professor, apparel merchandising and product development
- Young Min Kwon, microbiologist, poultry science
- Mary Savin, professor, crop, soil and environmental sciences
- Guillermo Tellez-Isaias, research professor, poultry science
- 10-Year Award
- Alvaro Durand-Morat, associate professor, agricultural economics and agribusiness
- Han-Seok Seo, associate professor, food science
- Xueyan Sha, professor, crop, soil and environmental sciences
- Lanny Rice, instructor, agricultural education, communications and technology
In addition, several faculty members were recognized for serving as honors program mentors, including Chris Estepp, agricultural education, communication and technology; Rusty Rumley, agricultural economics and agribusiness; Yan Huang, Kathi Jogan, Brittni Littlejohn, Lauren Rogers, Kelly Vierck and Janeal Yancey, animal science; Lance Cheramie and Leigh Southward, apparel merchandising and product development; Martin Egan, entomology and plant pathology; Nancy Buckley, food, nutrition and health/human nutrition and dietetics; Griffiths Atungulu and Kristen Gibson, food science; Matt Bertucci, Ryan Dickson and Margaret Worthington, horticulture; Dede Hamm, hospitality management; Donia Timby and Amanda Terrell, human development and family sciences; Dustan Clark, Sami Dridi, Michael Kidd and Sara Orlowski, poultry science; and Isabel Whitehead, dean's office.
About the Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences: Bumpers College provides life-changing opportunities to position and prepare graduates who will be leaders in the businesses associated with foods, family, the environment, agriculture, sustainability and human quality of life; and who will be first-choice candidates of employers looking for leaders, innovators, policy makers and entrepreneurs. The college is named for Dale Bumpers, former Arkansas governor and longtime U.S. senator who made the state prominent in national and international agriculture. For more information about Bumpers College, visit our website, and follow us on Twitter at @BumpersCollege and Instagram at BumpersCollege.
About the University of Arkansas: As Arkansas' flagship institution, the U of A provides an internationally competitive education in more than 200 academic programs. Founded in 1871, the U of A contributes more than $2.2 billion to Arkansas' economy through the teaching of new knowledge and skills, entrepreneurship and job development, discovery through research and creative activity while also providing training for professional disciplines. The Carnegie Foundation classifies the U of A among the top 3% of U.S. colleges and universities with the highest level of research activity. U.S. News & World Report ranks the U of A among the top public universities in the nation. See how the U of A works to build a better world at Arkansas Research News.
- Points of Pride
- Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food & Life Sciences
- Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness
- Department of Agricultural Education, Communications and Technology
- Department of Animal Science
- Department of Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences
- Department of Food Science
- Department of Horticulture
- Department of Poultry Science
- School of Human Environmental Sciences
- Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology
- Apparel Merchandising and Product Development Program
Robby Edwards, director of communications
Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences
Savannah Baptiste Selected as March Student Leader of the Month
Sophomore Savannah Baptiste has been selected as the Student Leader of the Month for March 2023.
Women's History Month: Dorothy McFadden Hoover
Hoover was the first African American woman to be promoted to the Stability Analysis section, the first African American woman to achieve the title of Aeronautical Research Scientist and the first African American woman to co-publish with her supervisor. Hoover's research and calculations helped to design the modern jet wing.
Mathematical Sciences Professor Helps Solve 50-Year-Old Problem
Chaim Goodman-Strauss, professor of mathematics, helped prove that a single, recently discovered 13-sided shape could be tiled across a plane without creating a periodic symmetry.
Fay Jones School Hosts Environmental Designer Ian Rolston for Diversity and Design Workshop
Rolston, a renowned Canadian environmental designer, led the Together in Diversity and Design workshop, exploring equity, empathy and compassion with students through a design reflection of their space.
Housing's Felisha Perrodin Named Jim Gibson Exceptional Service Award Winner
Felisha Perrodin, assistant director for administrative services, received the Jim Gibson Exceptional Service Award at a recent Southwest Association of College & University Housing Officers conference.