Engineering Departments Honor Faculty
College of Engineering faculty and staff members were honored for their achievements in teaching, research and service during the 2019-20 academic year during the college's faculty and staff meeting May 1.
Congratulations to these winners:
Biological and Agricultural Engineering
- Teaching: Tom Costello, associate professor
- Research: Jun Zhu, professor
- Service to Students: Kieu Le, teaching assistant professor
- Staff Excellence: Linda Pate, departmental administrative manager
- Teaching: Chris Nelson, assistant professor, The Twenty-First Century Professorship in Biomedical Engineering
- Research: Narasimhan Rajaram, assistant professor
- Service to Students: Kyle Quinn, assistant professor
- Staff Excellence: Jonathan Ward, master scientific research technician
Ralph E. Martin Department of Chemical Engineering
- Teaching: Christa Hestekin, associate professor, Ansel and Virginia Condray Endowed Professorship in Chemical Engineering
- Research: Lauren Greenlee, associate professor, Ralph E. Martin Leadership Chair in Chemical Engineering
- Service to Students: Heather Walker, teaching assistant professor
- Staff Excellence: Tammy Lutz-Rechtin, safety coordinator
- Teaching: Gary Prinz, associate professor
- Research: Sarah Hernandez, assistant professor
- Service to Students: Rod Williams, clinical assistant professor
- Staff Excellence: David Peachee, scientific research technician
Computer Science and Computer Engineering
- Teaching: John Gauch, professor
- Research: Jia Di, professor, 21st Century Research Leadership Chair
- Service to Students: Brajendra Panda, professor
- Staff Excellence: Brandy Meredith, fiscal manager
- Teaching: Roy McCann, professor
- Research: Fisher Yu, associate professor
- Service to Students: Robert Saunders, assistant department head
- Staff Excellence: Connie Howard, assistant to the department head
- Teaching: Kelly Sullivan, associate professor
- Research: Haitao Liao, professor, John and Mary Lib White Endowed Systems Integration Chair
- Service to Students: Tish Pohl, teaching assistant professor
- Staff Excellence: Matt Sparks, master scientific research technician
- Teaching: Zhenghui Sha, assistant professor
- Research: David Huitink, assistant professor
- Service to Students: Adam Huang, associate professor
- Staff Excellence: Melynda Hart, operations manager
College of Engineering
- Teaching: Brandon Crisel, instructor
- Research: Candace Rainwater, clinical assistant professor
- Staff Excellence: Kyle Cook, facilities manager
John English, dean of the College of Engineering, said even though the format for this year's award ceremony was different, the achievement is no less meaningful.
"I wish we would have been able to gather as a college to celebrate these outstanding faculty and staff members, but the ceremony is not what makes these accomplishments real," he said. "These awards are chosen based on nominations from colleagues, and each one represents the life-changing teaching, research and student support that takes place in our college every day. I'm so grateful to work alongside each of these incredible individuals."
- College of Engineering
- Department of Biological & Agricultural Engineering
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Ralph E. Martin Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Computer Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Industrial Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
Nick DeMoss, director of communications
College of Engineering
Assistant professor Mahmoud Moradi’s research could aid an unconventional approach to developing a coronavirus vaccine.
The Graduate-Professional Student Congress has named Samantha Warren as the inaugural honoree for the organization's School of Law Excellence in Leadership Award.
Aurign, a startup at Georgia State University using blockchain technology to securely file music-publishing documents, won the Heartland Challenge on Friday, May 29.
A new short play called 2084 by John Walch, assistant professor of theatre, will be performed at 1 p.m. CST Saturday, June 6, as part of the free Alone, Together festival.
Valerie Hunt, Shelly Gahagans and Karl Anderson were awarded this year's Collis R. Geren Awards for Excellence in Graduate Education in their roles as faculty and staff.