School of Law Celebrates Students, Benefactors at 10th Annual Luncheon

Dina Wood and Tony Jones
School of Law

Dina Wood and Tony Jones

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Dean Margaret Sova McCabe welcomed scholarship recipients, donors, faculty and guests at the University of Arkansas School of Law's 10th annual scholarship luncheon Friday, March 6.

Nearly 100 individuals gathered for the event at University of Arkansas Don Tyson Center for Agricultural Sciences. Friends and colleagues from near and far reminisced about their time in law school and interacted with the students they support.

Dina Wood, J.D.'88, senior director of development for UAMS Northwest Arkansas Region, gave remarks on behalf of the benefactors, and third-year law student Antonio "Tony" Jones provided the recipients' response. 

Woods told the group about how her education from the University of Arkansas School of Law gave her the skills needed to build a career in public service. She gave examples of how the school taught her to appreciate individual differences and the importance of listening.

Jones thanked the donors and reminded them that due to their generosity, students spend a little less time worried about finances and more time working to become the best attorneys they can. 

"Thanks to you, some of my fellow students have been able to write groundbreaking articles on the current state of the law," he said. "They have gotten to take their studies abroad. We have been able to compete in trial advocacy programs throughout the country, and we have worked in clinics and externships gaining real world experience."

The scholarship recipients for the 2019-20 academic year come from more than 30 undergraduate institutions. Roughly 70 percent are from Arkansas and represent more than 25 towns and 20 counties. The remaining 30 percent are from places as close as Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas, and as far as California, New York and Puerto Rico.

"The varied backgrounds and unique life experiences of these students enriches our law school and will contribute to advancing the practice of law, wherever they practice," McCabe said. "Most of all, they are a terrific investment. They will populate all facets of practice and make contributions to the communities they serve."

Contacts

Darinda Sharp, director of communications
School of Law
479-575-7417, dsharp@uark.edu

Headlines

New 'Short Talks' Explores Researchers Drive to a Coronavirus Vaccine

Assistant professor Mahmoud Moradi’s research could aid an unconventional approach to developing a coronavirus vaccine.

Warren Honored by GPSC for Leadership Excellence

The Graduate-Professional Student Congress has named Samantha Warren as the inaugural honoree for the organization's School of Law Excellence in Leadership Award.

Aurign Wins Heartland Challenge Business Competition, UA Team Finishes Third

Aurign, a startup at Georgia State University using blockchain technology to securely file music-publishing documents, won the Heartland Challenge on Friday, May 29.

Theatre Professor's New Play '2084' Featured in June 6 Virtual Festival

A new short play called 2084 by John Walch, assistant professor of theatre, will be performed at 1 p.m. CST Saturday, June 6, as part of the free Alone, Together festival.

Hunt, Gahagans, Anderson Receive Collis R. Geren Awards

Valerie Hunt, Shelly Gahagans and Karl Anderson were awarded this year's Collis R. Geren Awards for Excellence in Graduate Education in their roles as faculty and staff.

News Daily