Celebrate Earth Week at the University of Arkansas
The University of Arkansas will celebrate Earth Week April 22-26 with a week of events and activities presented by the Office for Sustainability in coordination with the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design, University Programs, Associated Student Government, and the RSO Sustainability Coalition.
At the University of Arkansas, we usually host a suite of events around Earth Day, April 22, the annual international event demonstrating support for environmental protection. Established in 1970, Earth Day is celebrated in 192 countries each year.
Earth Week at the U of A is a week full of events for people of all ages to get involved. There will be learning opportunities as well as opportunities to participate in service projects.
"Earth Day is the perfect opportunity to celebrate the progress we've made while raising awareness of the challenges ahead," said Eric Boles, director of the Office for Sustainability.
There are many ways to get involved during Earth Week, below is select list of opportunities.
- The Student Sierra Coalition RSO is encouraging all campus users to pick up at least one piece of trash while walking around campus. We’re all in this together.
Monday, April 22 (Earth Day!)
- Earth Day Block Party 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Union Mall
- Sustainability Minor Capstone Poster display, noon-1 p.m., 2nd floor Vol Walker Hall
- Victoria Herrmann Lecture presented by the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design, 4:45-6:15 p.m., Shollmier Auditorium
- Free Mountain Bike Skills Clinic 5 p.m., Oak Ridge Trailhead
Tuesday, April 23
- Oregon 120V Landscape Tool Demo 9-10 a.m., The Gardens
- Earth Week Oak Ridge Trail cleanup and invasive removal 4-6 p.m., Oak Ridge Trail
Wednesday, April 24
- Free coffee! But only if you provide your own coffee cup! BYOCC. 9-11 a.m., Union Mall
- Honors College Pulse: SustainaVILLEity 5 p.m., GEAR 130
Thursday, April 25
- U of A Bicycle Advocacy Council Meeting 2-3:30 p.m., JBHT 535
- DIY Apartment Compost Bin 4-5 p.m., Office for Sustainability, 238 Harmon Ave.
The Office for Sustainability is an interdisciplinary initiative supported by the U of A Facilities Management and the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design. For more information visit sustainability.uark.edu or contact the Office for Sustainability at 479-575-3715 or email@example.com.
Eric Boles, director
Office of Sustainability
Chancellor Steinmetz, Big Red, Coach Morris and Dean Fields teamed up for a new Welcome Back video to kick off the Fall 2019 semester.
Food Science Graduate Student Received Scholarship and Recognition from International Scientific Societies
Asmita Singh, a graduate student in the Food Science Department, has earned the Feeding Tomorrow Graduate Scholarship of $2,000 from the Institute of Food Technologists.
Artwork by Laura Terry, a U of A architecture professor, was selected for inclusion in a national juried show at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.
More than 450 students across Arkansas participated in College of Engineering summer camps as the program expanded to 25 camps in eight locations.
Summer construction on campus nears completion as the next set of projects begin.