Celebrate Earth Week at the University of Arkansas
The University of Arkansas will celebrate Earth Week April 22-26 with a week of events and activities presented by the Office for Sustainability in coordination with the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design, University Programs, Associated Student Government, and the RSO Sustainability Coalition.
At the University of Arkansas, we usually host a suite of events around Earth Day, April 22, the annual international event demonstrating support for environmental protection. Established in 1970, Earth Day is celebrated in 192 countries each year.
Earth Week at the U of A is a week full of events for people of all ages to get involved. There will be learning opportunities as well as opportunities to participate in service projects.
"Earth Day is the perfect opportunity to celebrate the progress we've made while raising awareness of the challenges ahead," said Eric Boles, director of the Office for Sustainability.
There are many ways to get involved during Earth Week, below is select list of opportunities.
- The Student Sierra Coalition RSO is encouraging all campus users to pick up at least one piece of trash while walking around campus. We’re all in this together.
Monday, April 22 (Earth Day!)
- Earth Day Block Party 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Union Mall
- Sustainability Minor Capstone Poster display, noon-1 p.m., 2nd floor Vol Walker Hall
- Victoria Herrmann Lecture presented by the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design, 4:45-6:15 p.m., Shollmier Auditorium
- Free Mountain Bike Skills Clinic 5 p.m., Oak Ridge Trailhead
Tuesday, April 23
- Oregon 120V Landscape Tool Demo 9-10 a.m., The Gardens
- Earth Week Oak Ridge Trail cleanup and invasive removal 4-6 p.m., Oak Ridge Trail
Wednesday, April 24
- Free coffee! But only if you provide your own coffee cup! BYOCC. 9-11 a.m., Union Mall
- Honors College Pulse: SustainaVILLEity 5 p.m., GEAR 130
Thursday, April 25
- U of A Bicycle Advocacy Council Meeting 2-3:30 p.m., JBHT 535
- DIY Apartment Compost Bin 4-5 p.m., Office for Sustainability, 238 Harmon Ave.
The Office for Sustainability is an interdisciplinary initiative supported by the U of A Facilities Management and the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design. For more information visit sustainability.uark.edu or contact the Office for Sustainability at 479-575-3715 or email@example.com.
Eric Boles, director
Office of Sustainability
U of A students take part in research that shows half of U.S. abuse deaths are not being reported.
Adedoyin Abe and Mahyar Afshar-Mohajer earned awards for their poster presentations at the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers Conference in Nashville in late May.
Area students will attend workshops on about science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics, get a taste of college experience..
The MicroCT Imaging Consortium for Research and Outreach Lab, or MICRO, has allowed faculty, staff and students to scan a wide a variety of objects for visualization.
David Owens, operations coordinator at the University of Arkansas Community Music School, has earned the Certified Program Planner credential.