U of A Seniors of Significance Class of 2019 Honored
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Arkansas Alumni Association honored its fifth class of Seniors of Significance during a reception at the Janelle Y. Hembree Alumni House on Jan. 31. A total of 71 graduating seniors, commemorating the university's founding date of 1871, were recognized. During the reception, the Seniors of Significance received a special gold honor cord to wear during graduation as well as a Senior of Significance certificate. More than 250 people attended including the honorees, their parents, University of Arkansas faculty and staff, as well as leadership from the university and the association.
The 71 students were selected from more than 500 nominations and represent each University of Arkansas undergraduate academic college. These Seniors of Significance were selected based on their academic achievements, leadership skills and extracurricular campus and/or community activities.
Seniors of Significance are now eligible to update their applications to be considered for the Senior Honor Citation program, now in its 54th year, and the Razorback Classics program.
CLASS OF 2019 SENIORS OF SIGNIFICANCE
- Alaa Abdelgawad* — Fayetteville
- Nikki Anderson ^ — Fayetteville
- Anthony Azzun* — Bolivar, Missouri
- Spencer Bone* — Jefferson City, Missouri
- Hannah Breau — Little Rock
- Emma Buckner* — White Hall
- Skylar "Sky" Caldwell* — Harrison
- Mattison "Matty" Cato* — Conway
- Theodore Christian* — Arlington, Texas
- Emily Daniels* — Harrison
- Josie DuBois* — Fayetteville
- Ikenna Egbosimba — Little Rock
- Anna "Gracie" Engelkes* — Conway
- Sandra Ezigbo — Arlington, Texas
- Erin Farmer* — Fayetteville
- Kaley Ferguson* — Hot Springs
- Lydia Fielder* — Bentonville
- Amy Frank* — Greenwood
- Fallon Freeman* — Coppell, Texas
- John "J.P." Gairhan* — Cabot
- Nimit Gandhi* — Sherwood
- Nathanael "Nate" Garcia* — Olathe, Kansas
- Brayley Gattis* — Fort Smith
- Emily Gentles* — Pearcy
- Katelyn "Katie" Gerth* — Bartlesville, Oklahoma
- Madelaine Giebler* — Neosho, Missouri
- Rebecca "Becca" Gilliland* — Thomasville, Georgia
- Miriam Gonzalez* — Rogers
- Sarah Gould* — Greenbrier
- Laura Gray* — Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
- Lillie Haddock — Springdale
- Jackson Hedrick* — Greenbrier
- Larry Hill* — Amity
- David "Luke" Humphrey — Arlington, Texas
- Grant Hylton* — San Diego, California
- Peyton Jennings* — Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Taylor Johnson — Edmond, Oklahoma
- Kristianna Jones — Frisco, Texas
- Clark Kennedy* — Little Rock
- Emily King* — Wichita, Kansas
- Sameer Kulkarni*^ — Aurangabad, Maharashtra
- Madison Lester* — Russellville
- Brian Magaña** — Siloam Springs
- Colt Malloy* — Bella Vista
- Juan Andres Martinez Castro* — Macaracas, Los Santos, Panama
- Madeline Mays* — Shreveport, Louisiana
- Madison McDonnell* — Columbia, Missouri
- Jose Manuel "Manny" Mejia — Fayetteville
- Colleen Mellor* — Bentonville
- McKenna Moore — Bentonville
- Natalie O'Neal* — Topeka, Kansas
- Andrew O'Neil*^ — Flippin
- Alexandra "Alex" Otwell* — Little Rock
- Haley Owen* — Bentonville, Arkansas
- Robin Raley* — Little Rock
- Elizabeth "Lizzie" Reimer* — Dallas, Texas
- Zachary Renfro* — Fayetteville
- Kathryn Rhomberg* — Fort Smith
- Karsen Sims* — Greenfield, Missouri
- Kaitlin Smithey — St. Louis, Missouri
- Spencer Soule* — North Little Rock
- Jaden Tatum* — Van Buren
- Julianna Tidwell* — Fayetteville
- Madison Umberger — Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Manasa Veluvolu*^ — Little Rock
- Sophia Vincent* — Lonoke
- Abigail Walker* — Fayetteville
- MyKala Wallace — Little Rock
- Summer Webers* — Mountain Home
- Elonay Yehualashet* — Melissa, Texas
- Annelise Zaring*^ — Fort Collins, Colorado
*Indicates the student is a member of the Honors College.
**Indicates the student is an Honors College Path Scholar.
^ Indicates the student is pursuing degrees within two colleges.
The University of Arkansas research is a step toward solving the mystery of how disk galaxies maintain the shape of their spiral arms.
The accomplishments of alumni of the College of Engineering were celebrated with induction of Joe Ray "J.R." Jones into the college's Hall of Fame and awards presented to distinguished alumni.
Access Pass holders may renew their passes for the 2019-20 season, which includes admission to all home football and men's basketball games, plus an official Trough T-shirt for only $85.
Dennis Clark, associate university librarian for research, learning, and spaces at the University of Virginia, is a candidate for dean of University Libraries at the U of A. He will give a presentation April 24.
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and for the 17th consecutive year, the Northwest Arkansas' Take Back the Night march will be held, this time on Thursday, April 25.