Army ROTC Commissions 11 Second Lieutenants
On Friday, May 11, the Razorback Brigade — UA Army ROTC — commissioned 11 cadets to second lieutenants in the U.S. Army. These cadets have gone through at least four years of rigorous training here on campus, at various military intallations throughout the country and even training abroad. The following list names the newly commissioned second lieutenants, what degree they earned and the branches they will serve in:
- Jarrod A. Almond, International Relations and Middle East Studies with a minor in Arabic, Active Duty Army, Ordnance Corps - EOD
- Justin R. Caylor, Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Business Management, Active Duty Army, Infantry
- Elena R. Chavez, Accounting, with honors, Active Duty Army, Infantry
- Madison A. Cheeves, Biology, Active Duty Army, Transportation Corps
- Andrew J. DeNome, Information Systems/Supply Chain, Texas Army National Guard, Quartermaster Corps
- George W. Hardin, Finance, Active Duty Army, Aviation Corps
- Trevor Cole Larson, Political Science, Active Duty Army, Armor Corps
- Jacob L. Mayfield, Information Systems, Active Duty Army, Signal Corps with branch detailed to Infantry
- Charles M. Mooney III, History, Active Duty Army, Medical Corps
- Hunter L. Reynolds, Marketing with a Supply Chain Management Minor, Active Duty Army, Transportation Corps
- Samuel C. Schwartz, History, Active Duty Army, Field Artillery
The guest speaker was Lt. Col. Kevin Cox of the Arkansas Army National Guard. He serves as the J5, Strategic Plans Officer at Camp Robinson in Little Rock. Other VIPS that were present are as follows:
- Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz
- Ray Jones, Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army
- Laura Jacobs, Vice Chancellor and Chief of Staff
- Mark Power, Vice Chancellor for Advancement
- Marcia Overby, Associate Vice Chancellor for Administration
- Rear Admiral Jack Buffington, U.S. Navy, retired, of the Military Officers of America Association
- Captain Steve Unger, U.S. Navy, retired, of the Military Officers of America Association
At our satelite school, the University of Arkansas at Fort Smith, we had one commission later that same day:
- Albert J. Spanel, Business Administration, Arkansas Army National Guard, Quartermaster Corps
The cadre of the Razorback Brigade are very proud of our newest Second Lieutenants and know they will go far.
Candrilli will read from their work at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Home Economics Auditorium, room 0102, as the 2023-24 Walton Visiting Writer in Poetry.
The Bridge Fellows Program is designed to support graduate research on gender issues in any department or college for the spring semester.
Gavin Miller, an honors junior from Bryant who is studying public health and biology, has been selected as the Student Leader of the Month for August.
The U of A System Office has announced that eligible U of A employees will soon have access to Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection vaccines covered with no out-of-pocket expense through United Medical Resources.
The lecture and networking sessions are for senior leaders and human resource partners to engage with Dr. Charles Barber on the importance of linking belonging and leveraging diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in a transformative workforce.