Seo, Smith Earn Bumpers College Gamma Sigma Delta Faculty Awards
Food science associate professor Han-Seok Seo (left), and apparel merchandising and product development clinical associate professor Kathy Smith are presented Gamma Sigma Delta researcher and teacher awards, respectively, by GSD president Kris Brye, professor in crop, soil, and environmental sciences.
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Professors Han-Seok Seo in food science and Kathy Smith in apparel merchandising and product development are winners of the faculty awards presented each year in the Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences by Gamma Sigma Delta.
Based on submissions and recommendations by faculty members, Seo has earned the Outstanding Research Award and Smith the Outstanding Teaching Award.
Seo is associate professor of sensory science in the Department of Food Science, and Smith is clinical associate professor of apparel merchandising and product development in Bumpers College's School of Human Environmental Sciences.
Seo joined the U of A faculty in 2012. His research focuses on sensory qualities of food and beverages, and eating quality and wellness. In the last five years, he has published 59 articles in peer-reviewed journals and has garnered more than $2.4 million in grant funding.
Smith has been associated with the university since 1991, and has 26 years of college teaching experience and more than 17 years of professional industry experience. She has taught many traditional classes with high student evaluation ratings and has made significant contributions to teaching in other areas, such as internships, study abroad programs and industry programs.
Faculty comments for Seo included:
- "What separates him apart is his use of innovative techniques and equipment that have rarely been used in sensory science."
- "He is one of the rare individuals who contributes to the understanding of the senses of taste and smell, contextual factors, how emotions impact food-related sensory cues and new methods."
- "He has found unique ways to induce consumer healthy eating habits by using environmental sensory cues such as ambient lights, background sounds and tableware items."
- "Overall, his past six years at the University of Arkansas have been stellar."
Faculty comments for Smith included:
- "Dr. Smith epitomizes the consummate educator, particularly with respect to 'experiential' education."
- "Her integrity in all areas has been instrumental in building relationships with businesses around the world that have led to career opportunities for her students."
- "Dr. Smith is committed to students gaining the most valuable education available at the U of A, but she also shares her enthusiasm with the students and encourages them to become true lifelong learners,"
- "Dr. Smith continuously strives to find ways to provide students with a seamless learning experience by developing and re-developing courses, engaging in innovative rigorous research, and making students and their futures her top priority."
Gamma Sigma Delta is the National Honor Society for Agriculture.
About the Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences: Bumpers College provides life-changing opportunities to position and prepare graduates who will be leaders in the businesses associated with foods, family, the environment, agriculture, sustainability and human quality of life; and who will be first-choice candidates of employers looking for leaders, innovators, policy makers and entrepreneurs. The college is named for Dale Bumpers, former Arkansas governor and longtime U.S. senator who made the state prominent in national and international agriculture.
About the University of Arkansas: The University of Arkansas provides an internationally competitive education for undergraduate and graduate students in more than 200 academic programs. The university contributes new knowledge, economic development, basic and applied research, and creative activity while also providing service to academic and professional disciplines. The Carnegie Foundation classifies the University of Arkansas among only 2 percent of universities in America that have the highest level of research activity. U.S. News & World Report ranks the University of Arkansas among its top American public research universities. Founded in 1871, the University of Arkansas comprises 10 colleges and schools and maintains a low student-to-faculty ratio that promotes personal attention and close mentoring.
Robby Edwards, director of communications
Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences
The Pryor Center for Arkansas Oral and Visual History was able to digitize the material thanks to a gift from the Tyson Family Foundation.
This checklist will help you with campus transportation needs at the beginning of the semester and throughout the year.
Calling all Razorbacks, new and old! Join us on Friday, Aug. 23, from 8 p.m. to midnight on the Arkansas Union Mall for the first UARK Cardinal Nights of the school year!
Auditions and enrollment are open now for the Collegiate Chorale, Schola Cantorum, Inspirational Chorale and Chamber Choir for interested students from all majors.
Jared Phillips will be part of a panel that discusses the counterculture movement in the Ozarks in the 1970s.