Department of Theatre Seeks Student-Written Plays for April Festival
The Department of Theatre in the J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences seeks 10-minute plays written by undergraduates to be produced as part of the ArkType New Play Festival in April of 2018.
Submissions of original 10-minute plays are being accepted now through 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 8. This opportunity is open to all University of Arkansas undergraduate students, regardless of major or area of study.
The number of plays to be produced will be at the Department of Theatre's discretion and will depend on the mix of qualified submissions. Original plays accepted for the ArkType New Play Festival will be announced in January of 2018. The plays selected will be given productions in a studio aesthetic and with consideration of the larger budget of the festival.
Festival Submission Guidelines:
- Submission must be an original 10-minute play. Legal clearance of materials not in the public domain is the full responsibility of the playwright.
- Only one play may submitted by each playwright, so send us your best!
- Maximum Length: 10 pages not including title pages. Play should run in the 10 minute range. Longer submissions will not be considered.
- Scripts may be comedy and drama. Not open to musicals.
- Think simple set and costume needs and minimal technical requirements. Only basic furniture and minimal props will be available for the production.
- Plays must be submitted with pages numbered and include on the title page the following contact information:
- Playwright's name, mailing address, phone number and email address.
- All submissions will be read "blind," so please only include your name on the cover page, which will be removed when we send them out to the selection committee.
- All submissions must be electronic and you must fill out this online form.
- Plays must be received by the Fruday, Dec. 8 by 5 p.m. deadline, as stated above.
- Document format: Microsoft Word or .PDF files only. No other formats will be accepted.
- After filling out the form, email submission to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Selections will be made by the Department of Theatre and inclusion in the festival is solely at their discretion. All selected playwrights will be expected to participate in the production process, including possibly rewriting.
- All submitting playwrights will receive an email notification upon receipt of their scripts.
Questions about the submission process or production schedule may be emailed to email@example.com.
John Stanley Walch, assistant professor
Department of Theatre
John Tyson, chairman of Tyson Foods, announced a new gift during dedication ceremonies for the new Don Tyson Center for Agricultural Sciences.
University of Arkansas faculty and staff members and graduate students took part recently in the American Association for Adult and Continuing Education annual conference in Memphis.
Wesley Haynie and Hyun-Gyu "Sean" Suh, doctoral students in exercise science, will give research presentations from 3 to 4 p.m. Friday, Nov. 17, in HPER 311.
On Saturday morning, MyDocs, Gizmo, SharePoint and other systems relying on the SQL server will be briefly interrupted during routine Windows Server maintenance.
The Department of Food Science is recruiting families, defined as at least one parent/guardian, with at least one child between the ages of 6-12 years to participate in a nutrition study.