U of A Honors 15 Faculty and Staff Grant Recipients
U of A Chancellor Joseph E. Steinmetz addresses the crowd at the Top 15 in 2015 ceremony
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas recently honored its “Top 15 in 2015” class of research award recipients in a ceremony Tuesday in Sturgis Hall at the Janelle Y. Hembree Alumni House.
The offices of the provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs and vice provost for research and economic development hosted the ceremony and reception, which recognized faculty and staff researchers who were the university’s most highly funded in fiscal year 2015.
As a group, the 15 faculty and staff researchers accounted for more than half of the University of Arkansas’ total external research funding of $63.7 million in fiscal 2015.
“You’re bringing distinction, you’re bringing prestige and you’re bringing critical research dollars to the university, and, even more important than the research dollars, you are advancing the knowledge base,” Chancellor Joseph E. Steinmetz told the group. “I want you to know how much you mean to the university and how important your work is in advancing our academic mission.”
Faculty and staff recognized at the event were:
- Denise Airola, director, Office of Innovation for Education, College of Education and Health Professions
- Bobbie Biggs, professor of workforce development and director of Early Care and Education Projects, College of Education and Health Professions
- Karan Burnette, associate director of Partners for Inclusive Communities and director of the Arkansas Autism Partnership, College of Education and Health Professions
- Jack Chakhalian, professor of physics, J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences
- Richard Coffman, associate professor of civil engineering, College of Engineering
- David Cook, director, Arkansas Leadership Academy, College of Education and Health Professions
- David Deere, executive director, Partners for Inclusive Communities, College of Education and Health Professions
- Debra Hurd, clinical professor, School of Social Work, Fulbright College
- Roger Koeppe, Distinguished Professor of chemistry and biochemistry, Fulbright College
- Alan Mantooth, Distinguished Professor of electrical engineering, College of Engineering
- Paul Millett, assistant professor of mechanical engineering, College of Engineering
- Heather Nachtmann, associate dean of engineering, professor of industrial engineering and director, Maritime Transportation Research and Education Center, Mack-Blackwell Transportation Center, College of Engineering
- Brent Thomas Williams, associate professor of rehabilitation education and research and faculty coordinator of Arkansas PROMISE, College of Education and Health Professions
- Janet Penner-Williams, assistant dean for education, College of Education and Health Professions
- Jing Yang, assistant professor of electrical engineering, College of Engineering
Chris Branam, research communications writer/editor
Professors Steve Tung of mechanical engineering and Jin-Woo Kim of biological engineering received an NIH grant to make DNA sequencing faster, cheaper and easier.
Lickwar collaborated on a garden design that was selected for the 2018 International Garden Festival at Chaumont-sur-Loire, a historic castle in France's Loire River Valley.
The IT Help Portal will be unavailable for up to six hours during Cherwell maintenance scheduled from 7 p.m. Friday to 1 a.m. Saturday.
Members of the U of A Entomology Club provide their knowledge of insects local and global at the Fayetteville Farmers Market on several dates this summer.