Arkansas Alumni Association Announces 2017 Alumni Award Honorees
The Arkansas Alumni Association will host its 73rd annual Alumni Awards Celebration at 6 p.m. Friday, Nov. 3, at the Fayetteville Town Center.
This year's awards celebration honors the accomplishments of 12 alumni, faculty and friends. Tickets are $100 per person, and $25 of each ticket will go directly to support the Arkansas Alumni Association Scholarship Program. Registration is available online at www.arkansasalumni.org/2017AlumniAwards. RSVP by Oct. 20. Tables and sponsorships are available. For more information on tickets and sponsorships, contact Deb Euculano at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 479-575-2292.
The awards and honorees are:
Citation of Distinguished Alumni, which recognizes exceptional professional and personal achievement and extraordinary distinction in a chosen field:
- Sharon E. Bernard, B.S.'69, J.D.'69, attorney (retired)
- Terrence R. Dake, B.A.'66, general, U.S. Marine Corps (retired)
- Mark Waldrip, B.S.A.'77, managing member of Armor Seeds and chairman of Armor Bank
Andrew J. Lucas Service Award, which acknowledges significant contribution of time and energy on behalf of the University and the Alumni Association:
- John L Colbert, B.S.E.'76, M.Ed.'81, Ph.D.'17, associate superintendent for elementary education for Fayetteville Public Schools
Community Service Award, which recognizes unselfish and extensive service by alumni to their community and to humankind:
- Jawanda Mast, B.S.H.E.'84, M.S.'89, disability advocate
Young Alumni Award, which recognizes exceptional achievements in career, public service and/or volunteer activities that bring honor to the University of Arkansas:
- Theresa Fette, B.S.B.A.'99, M.Acc.'00, J.D.'03, CEO and co-founder of Provident Trust Group
Honorary Alumni Award, which honors non-alumni who have served, promoted, developed and loved the University of Arkansas in the tradition of an Arkansas graduate:
- Denise Garner, founder/president of Feed Communities and publisher of Edible Ozarkansas, and Dr. Hershey Garner, radiation oncologist for Highlands Oncology Group
Faculty Distinguished Achievement Award for Service
- Tiffany R. Murphy, J.D., associate professor of law and director of Criminal Practice Clinic for the University of Arkansas School of Law
Faculty Distinguished Achievement Award for Research
- Ranil Wickramasinghe, Ph.D., professor for the Department of Chemical Engineering in the College of Engineering and site director of Membrane Science, Engineering and Technology Center at the University of Arkansas
Faculty Distinguished Achievement Rising Teaching Award
- Kate Shoulders, Ph.D., associate professor for the Department of Agricultural Education, Communications and Technology in the Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences
Charles and Nadine Baum Faculty Teaching Award, which recognizes outstanding teaching and is designated for a faculty member whose status is Full, University or Distinguished Professor:
- John A. White, Ph.D., Distinguished Professor and Chancellor Emeritus for the Department of Industrial Engineering in the College of Engineering.
Ashley Fitzsimmons, assistant director of communications
Arkansas Alumni Association
Schulte will offer a preview of Honors College Signature Seminar coming next spring during a lecture at 5:15 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 20, in Gearhart Hall Auditorium.
Three students in the graduate athletic training program — Eric Schwartz, Kristen Peterson and Mariellen Veach — won scholarships and research grants from the Southwest Athletic Trainers' Association.
Bob Maranto, a professor in the Department of Education Reform, argues in a Chronicle of Higher Education article that worries of university students being swayed to liberal viewpoints is overblown.
The Arkansas Teacher Corps works to recruit, train and support individuals from all majors and backgrounds to serve as outstanding teachers for Arkansas students.
Weiyi Ma and Amanda Williams have joined the faculty in the U of A's School of Human Environmental Science's human development and family sciences program.