U of A Senior Wins Miss Arkansas Scholarship Pageant
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. – University of Arkansas senior Savvy Shields won the title of Miss Arkansas 2016 Saturday night at the 79th Miss Arkansas Scholarship Pageant. The pageant took place at the Bank of the Ozarks Arena in Hot Springs in front of a crowd of more than 2,500 people.
Shields won a $25,000 scholarship provided by Ted and Shannon Boy Skokos, Citgo and the Miss Arkansas Scholarship Foundation and more than $75,000 in awards, wardrobe, transportation, and gifts. Shields will represent Arkansas at the 2017 Miss America Pageant in Atlantic City and will make appearances across the Natural State promoting the Children's Miracle Network, the Arkansas Children's Hospital, her personal platform of "Eat Better, Live Better" and speaking in support of the goals of the Miss Arkansas and Miss America system.
Shields was crowned by the outgoing Miss Arkansas, Loren McDaniel, a U of A alumna from Van Buren.
Among those watching the festivities was Donna Axum Whitworth, the University of Arkansas alumna who was Miss Arkansas 1963 and Miss America 1964.
Nearly $122,000 in scholarships were awarded throughout the week to various contestants.
Shields is an art major at the University of Arkansas with a business minor. She is the 21-year-old daughter of Todd and Karen Shields of Fayetteville. For her talent selection she performed a jazz dance to "Just Keep Moving the Line." Shields was Miss Arkansas Outstanding Teen 2009.
The other top five finalists were:
- 1st runner-up (receiving a $10,000 scholarship sponsored by Charles and Susie Morgan): Miss University of Arkansas Savannah Skidmore, a senior majoring in journalism
- 2nd runner-up (receiving a $7,000 scholarship sponsored by the Miss Arkansas Scholarship Foundation): Miss South Central Arkansas Brooke Cornelius
- 3rd runner up (receiving a $6,000 scholarship sponsored by Former Miss Arkansas Association): Miss ASU Bailey Moses
- 4th runner-up: (receiving at $5,000 scholarship sponsored by Robin Houseworth and Sarah Nail): Miss UCA Ashton Purtle
The six semi-finalists, who will each receive a $2,000 scholarship sponsored by Jane White Cosmetics and Skin Care, were:
- Miss Central Arkansas Caitlyn Cook
- Miss Ouachita River Samantha Hudon
- Miss Northeast Arkansas Destiny Quinn
- Miss Greater Hot Springs Stoni Butler
- Miss Arkansas Delta Maggie Benton, also a U of A student
- Miss Lights of the Delta Jennifer Ulloa
Also announced were those finishing 12-15 in random order, each of whom willl receive a $1,000 scholarship sponsored by Oaklawn, Regions Bank of Hot Springs, Clay & Brittany Combs, MAEDA and the Miss Arkansas Scholarship Fund, include:
- Miss Lake Dardanelle Alexis Sanders
- Miss Dogwood Abby Lindsey
- Miss Greater Jonesboro Jade Collins
- Miss Northwest Arkansas Jacey Winn, another U of A student
Additional awards to contestants with University of Arkansas ties announced during Saturday's pageant:
- Tony Bowls Designs Overall Evening Gown - $1500 given by Tony Bowls Designs - Heart of the Ozarks Savvy Shields
- Katie Bailey Overall Swimsuit - $1500 given by Dr. Michael Cooper - Heart of the Ozarks Savvy Shields
- Sarah Slocum Overall Interview - $2000 given by Renee Fronabarger - Arkansas Valley Darynne Dahlem
- Newcomer Awards - $500 each - Savvy Shields, Heart of the Ozarks - presented by Dr. Rhys Branman
- Miss Arkansas People's Choice Award - $1000 - Miss Sweetheart of Arkansas Jennifer Nottenkamper - presented by the Miss Arkansas Pageant
- Overall Alpha Evening Gown - $250 - Savvy Shields, Heart of the Ozarks - presented by the Miss Arkansas Executive Directors Association
- Overall Alpha Talent - $250 - Savvy Shields, Heart of the Ozarks - presented by the Miss Arkansas Executive Directors Association
- Overall Alpha Swimsuit - $250 - Savvy Shields, Heart of the Ozarks - presented by the Miss Arkansas Executive Directors Association
- Overall Alpha Interview - $250 - Savvy Shields, Heart of the Ozarks - presented by the Miss Arkansas Executive Directors Association
- Mary Jane Mullins Non-Finalist Interview Award - $500 - Darynne Dahlem, Arkansas Valley - presented by Dr. Patti Mullins
- Non-Finalist Dance Award - $250 - Jennifer Nottenkamper, Sweetheart of Arkansas - presented by The Studio by Lauren / Lauren Wood
- Non-Finalist Vocalist Award - $250 - Rebecca Zurcher, North Central Arkansas - presented by Brad and Zach Stout
The pageant is co-sponsored by the Miss Arkansas Scholarship Pageant Inc., the Greater Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce, Visit Hot Springs and the City of Hot Springs.
From left, Savvy Shields, who tied for the swimsuit competition and later won Miss Arkansas; outgoing Miss Arkansas Loren McDaniel; Rebecca Zurcher, who won the talent competion; and Savannah Skidmore, who also tied for the swimsuit competition and was first runner-up to Miss Arkansas.
Toni Barger Bahn, director of media and publicity
Miss Arkansas Scholarship Pageant
Editor-selected comments will be published below. No abusive material, personal attacks, profanity, spam or material of a similar nature will be considered for publication.comments powered by Disqus
Robin Bowen, Anna Egalite, Yvonne Johnson and Reed Greenwood will be recognized at a reception May 12 and commencement May 13.
Renowned anthropologist Peter Ungar’s latest book follows dietary clues from fossil teeth to trace the impact of diet on human evolution.
Winners of the 2017 Collis R. Geren awards for excellence in graduate education will be honored at a recognition event at noon today in the Gearhart Hall Courtyard.
The new vice provost will create a campus plan to improve diversity and inclusion and lead efforts to define and expand view of diversity.
Roger Gross, professor emeritus in the Department of Drama passed away on April 23, 2017. He joined the University of Arkansas in 1980 as the first Chair of the Department of Drama.