'Literary Lifelines' Celebrates Women's History

Two women with the North Arkansas Regional Library Bookmobile, 1956. (Woman’s Book Club of Harrison (MC 843), University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville.)
Photo Submitted

Two women with the North Arkansas Regional Library Bookmobile, 1956. (Woman’s Book Club of Harrison (MC 843), University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville.)

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The University Libraries’ special collections department commemorates Women’s History Month with the exhibit, “Literary Lifelines” on level 1 of Mullins Library through June 15. The exhibit showcases photos, maps and documents that demonstrate the major role women played in the creation and development of public libraries in the United States during the 19th and 20th centuries.

Women’s clubs across Arkansas established 25 libraries between 1888 and 1935 alone. In Fort Smith and Morrilton, club women were awarded grants made available by industrialist Andrew Carnegie to support the construction of their public libraries.

As educational and social opportunities for women began to expand across the country, white middle- and upper-class Arkansas women were able to use literary clubs to organize around social issues in a way that fit the parameters of female social responsibility in the South. While early public libraries opened avenues for working-class white citizens, black Arkansans faced restrictions to access and funding for African American branch libraries. African American women’s clubs and educators advocated for public library access for black citizens.

Prior to Carnegie grants and government tax funds, the majority of Arkansas libraries were operated through private homes and often required a subscription fee to borrow books. School libraries left much to be desired for Arkansas children. The establishment of fully funded libraries created access to information and educational tools for many Arkansans. By investing their time, energy and resources into developing libraries, Arkansas women contributed to a more literate population and expanded their own influence.

Contacts

Timothy G. Nutt, head of special collections
University of Arkansas Libraries
479-575-8443, timn@uark.edu

Jennifer Rae Hartman, public relations coordinator
University Libraries
479-575-7311, jrh022@uark.edu


Editor-selected comments will be published below. No abusive material, personal attacks, profanity, spam or material of a similar nature will be considered for publication.

comments powered by Disqus

Headlines

Arkansas Teacher Corps Honors Graduates, Welcomes New Fellows

The Arkansas Teacher Corps honored Fellows who completed their three-year teaching commitments in high-need schools in Arkansas at a celebration May 20 in Little Rock.

Assistant Professor Invited to Attend NIH Workshop on Branched-Chain Amino Acid Metabolism

Jamie I. Baum, an assistant professor of nutrition in the Department of Food Science, will join key scientists at a workshop identifying research opportunities and gaps.

U of A Ranked Among 'Best for Vets' Schools by Military Times

Military-friendly campus culture, academic quality and outcomes for veterans are key values in selecting the top 130 four-year institutions.

National Development Organization Names Dan Hendrix as New Board Member

The State International Development Organizations has named Dan Hendrix, president and chief executive officer of the World Trade Center Arkansas as a new member of their leadership board.

College of Education and Health Professions Chooses New Administrators

The College of Education and Health Professions will have several new faces in administrative positions at the University of Arkansas, Dean Michael Miller announced.

Newswire Daily